17 Jan 2014

Black Currant Maltose Crisp


Start working on my Chinese New Year cookies '14. Wanna do something different from my past CNYs. Browsing thru my number of baking recipe books, this year, I’m gonna make reference to ‘The Secret of Cookies’ by Gu Huixue, a detailed book.

Made these black currant maltose crisps which I modified from her red date and maltose crisp, p.53~56. Sorry that I accomplished my way of preparing. Do refer to the book for the original professional handling. I had increased the amount of the dried fruit and I did a 1.5 recipe.

Black Currant Maltose Crisp
A.
150 g unsalted butter, cubed & soften
75 g caster sugar
75 g maltose
1.5 g salt   (used 1/4 tsp)
B.
60 g black currant   (used 75 g)
C.
300 g cake flour
1.5 g baking soda   (used 1/4 tsp)
15 g milk powder
Yield:  60

1. Over low heat, melt and stir ingredients A: butter, sugar, maltose & salt till sugar dissolved in a small pot. Remove from heat. Stir in B: black currant. Set aside to cool completed.

2. In a mixing bowl, sift all C: cake flour, baking soda & milk powder, whisk to combine, make a well in the centre.

3. Pour in melted butter-black currant mixture to the flour mixture, scrap and mix to combine becoming a dough. Wrap the dough with cling foil/plastic bag and store in the fridge for 10~15 minutes.

4. Take out from fridge. Knead the dough a little, roll out using rolling pin about 0.5 cm thick sheet. Cut into rectangles.

5. Place cut dough onto lined baking tray. Prick with fork/bamboo stick.

6. Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated over for 15 minutes, rotate if necessary. Cool completely before storing.

Here it is, the black currant maltose crisp:

Pretty nice to accompany with a glass of milk, or maybe with a cup of tea for afternoon break. For me, not so much in CNY notion though. But, if I didn't try the recipe I won't have known, right.

If you are looking for something that is similar to shortbread biscuits, this is not it. The black currant maltose crisps here not only eggless, the presence of large amount of maltose renders the cookies on a crunch side, definitely non-crumbly non-soft type. Anyway, quite easy to tackle baking two trays of biscuits. It is a bit sweet to my taste, I should have cut down some 15 or 20 g of sugar. OK, move on to the next cookies.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...