20 Aug 2013

Chicken Curry in Kurma style


Following my earlier post about curry chicken and glutinous turmeric rice (- here -) that normally I would not use a lot of oil in my curry browning. Even so, I am gonna to put up the difference when one uses more oil. The result would be obviously differ: more oily of course, many say more oil would be tastier, and, you would find much easier in the browning process.

OK, this is another curry recipe of mine which I replace red curry powder with Kurma curry powder which is rich in ground coriander seeds, and I go for green chili instead of red chili paste, and etc. In fact I cook it the same manner of my normal chicken curry. But, I borrow in the Kurma curry style.

Credits to my Indian friends who taught me about Kurma or Korma Mutton Curry. But, no, the recipe here is not the authentic or complete Kurma curry which you have the tomato, potato cubes and etc. Should I say a fusion taste of South Asia X Southeast Asia?

Chicken Curry in Kurma style
(A)
3 pcs chicken thighs &/or drumsticks
(B)
 process / pound finely the follows:
  6 shallots
  4 cloves garlic
  1/2” ginger
  2 large fresh green chili  (add 1 green bird eye chili for spicy hot curry)
(C)
5 cardamoms
1/3 star anise
3 cloves
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 sticks lemon grass
1 small cinnamon stick
(D)
mix below with 1~ 2 TBsp coconut milk into patse:
  2 TBsp kurma curry powder (I used Baba’s)
  1/2 tsp cumin powder
  1/2 tsp fennel powder
(E)
75 ml coconut milk
3 raw cashew nuts, pounded finely
2/3 ~ 3/4 cup water
pinch of sugar
salt to taste
(F)
cooking oil
Servings: 2 ~ 3

In a wok heat cooking oil over medium heat, brown the (B) & (C) till fragrant. Add in the (D), brown till fragrant. Take some patient non-stop stir-frying in browning, do not let the spices burnt. 
Note: I normally use much lesser oil during browning. Here a mere demo in contrast to my earlier post.

Turn up medium high heat, add in (A), somewhat sear chicken with the browned spices and to log its juice within.

Pour in water depending of how much gravy you want, give a stir and bring to boil. Turn to medium low heat. Add in coconut milk, a pinch of sugar and some salt from (E). Lid on. Simmer for 25 minutes or till chicken cooked through (the bigger cut of chicken the longer to simmer).

Stir in finely pounded cashew nuts, check if you still need to add any additional salt, remove from heat.
Note: Add a tablespoon of light soy sauce if you want a kinda oriental “umami” taste. Just stick to salt if you wish to stay to South Asian flavour.

Serve. Best if you can garnish with some chopped fresh coriander leaves.


I had it with Basmati rice, just terrific!

For variation, chop 1 tomato and 1 medium boiled potato into cubes and add them in before chicken simmering, also add in a little pinch of mustard seeds during browning would be nice too, on top of that not forgetting to garnish a tablespoon of golden raisin. Then, it will be closer to a Kurma chicken curry already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...