11 Jun 2013

Traditional Butter Cake


My parents came over last weekend. I baked a traditional butter cake loaf for them as tea snack.

I baked my very first butter cake when I was 14, in school I remember. We used wooden spoon to accommodate the creaming method baking in cupcake basis. I still remember despite everyone having the same given recipe, the same amount and quality of ingredients, but when every student displayed own each on teacher’s table, all varies!! Some puffed and fluffy, some sank, some in light golden, some burned much, and in various of shapes. lol All my classmates just laughed off teasing each other. Good memories anyway.

Also, my mum doesn't bake nowadays, but when me and my brothers were young, sometimes she did butter cake, orange butter cake, or maybe marble cake for our family. She only knows the creaming method using a hand mixer, i.e. beat butter and sugar, add egg one at a time, then fold in flour. I still remember she jotted those recipes down with a pencil on some old yellowish papers all in “ounce” thing.

My mum referred it as ‘the pound cake’ or she would say ‘traditional butter cake’. She emphasized in the same part of butter : sugar : flour. Moreover, she would only use SCS butter. Regardless how good, or how bad, her cakes were, but still that’s the good old days cakes from my mum. With much love, warmth, and nostalgia.

This one here is those old days’ family bakes of my mum, not the exact but as far as I can recall. And I have modified a little along the way, as normally I don’t bake/cook like her. Bad daughter, haa.

Traditional Butter Cake
175 g SR flour (I used 140 g SR flour + 35 g almond meal this time, mixed & sieved)
175 g butter, soften (used SCS salted butter)
175 g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten (used omega eggs)
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBsp milk

- In a mixing bowl with an electrical mixer on medium high speed, cream butter and caster sugar till pale, light and fluffy.
- Turn to low speed, add in beaten egg + vanilla extract in 3 or 4 portions, beat till incroporated of each adding.
- Transfer to a spatula, fold in flour plus milk.
- Fill the batter to a greased (and lined here) loaf tin. Smooth the surface with the help of the spatula.
- In a pre-heated oven at lower rack, bake at 180°C for 35 ~ 45 minutes (baked 40 minutes here) or till skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack to let cool completely.
- If preferred, dust some icing sugar or lightly glaze the top. Slice desired thickness. Serve and enjoy.

Will go for the combination method next time, i.e. whipping egg whites separately.

P/S: The next day, I usually keep the unfinished butter cake inside the fridge in a covered container. But, will steam the slices lightly before serve, and it would become soft and moist again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...