Bibimbap is one of the Korean signature main dishes about seasoned veges mixed rice with gochujang chili paste topped with egg yolk. Ever since coming back from Seoul, tried making bibimbap-s at home twice. An imitated one with no actual Korean recipe in hand. But still, very yummy. Happy, happy!
On my first experiment, I went raw for both carrots and purple cabbage. Attempt this time here, something like a dolsot bibimbap but by using my clay pot 'cause I don't own a hot stone bowl.
Bibimbap / Korean Mixed Rice
3/4 cup chicken breast strips, marinated with soy sauce, a bit of corn flour, pinch of chili powder & brown sugar
3/4 cup yellow capsicum strips
3/4 cup purple cabbage strips
3/4 cup carrot strips
2 large shiitake mushrooms, soaked, drained & sliced
1 stalk spring onion, cut 2” wide
2 egg yolks
1/3 tsp gochugaru (Korean chili powder)
1 clove garlic, minced
light soy sauce
light soy sauce
2½ TBsp gochujang (Korean chili paste) + 1/2 TBsp bonito sauce + 1/2 tsp sesame oil, mixed into a paste
1 tsp black & white sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 TBsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
some kimchi as side
2 bowls of cooked short grain rice
1. Prepare an array of seasoned veges:
- sauté yellow capsicum till half-cooked with a bit of oil, salt to taste.
- sauté purple cabbage till half-cooked with a bit of oil & minced garlic, salt to taste.
- sauté shiitake mushroom with a bit of minced garlic, simmer with some water, soy sauce, bonito sauce, cooking wine & a pinch of sugar for 15 minutes.
- sauté carrot till half-cooked with a bit of oil & gochugaru.
2. With a bit of oil, pan fry & stir fry the chicken breast till well cooked and edges a bit browned.
3. Coat clay pot with some sesame oil. Scoop in a layer with one bowl of cooked rice. Arrange half portion of each topping: seasoned veges, chicken strips, spring onion, as well as the gochujang paste on the rice. Place an egg yolk in the middle. (Know what, I forgot to top some shredded Korean seaweed. >”<)
4. Sprinkle sesame seeds and pine nuts. Serve warm immediately with a side of kimchi. Tadaa, my colourful bibimbap!
Just mix those various toppings all together with the rice while the clay pot is super duper hot still before enjoying the meal!
Will try on other ingredients and in beef version in future attempts. Bye for now.