1 Dec 2012

Italian Bread


Baked this beautiful Italian Bread. So happy with the result.

The recipe is from artisanbreadbaking.com and it is derived from Clayton’s bread recipe. All the credits to them. I worked on a 1/4 recipe basis. This is my first attempt and here is a summary.

Italian Bread
poolish:
50 g bread flour
50 g water
1/8 tsp dry yeast  (used instant yeast)
main dough:
120 g water
223 g bread flour  (225 g)
3/4 tsp dry yeast
3/4 tsp salt  (used 2/3 tsp)
2 TBsp non-fat dry milk  (used full cream milk powder)
3/4 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp malt  (used 1 tsp)

- Prepare and stir the poolish in a plastic container with lid. Set on the counter overnight. I set aside for 12 hours.
- Mix the poolish and all the main dough ingredients except salt in a mixing bowl. Autolyse 25 minutes.
- Knead with salt. I hand-kneaded it for 12 minutes.
- 1st rise: 2.5 hours. I did 2 folds in between: one on the 60 minutes, another fold on another 45 minutes after. At the end of 2.5 hours, I did 3-folds one more time and shape to tight boule.
- 2nd rise: 50 minutes. Score.
- Bake in pre-heated dry oven at 220°C. I baked 28 minutes. Leave another 5 minutes in the oven with door ajar.
- Cool on wire rack.

This Italian Bread has good oven spring. It turned into a ball. With nice fresh-baked aroma, texture of thin crispy crust and soft crumb, the overall taste totally won me over.


I really love it and immediately include this recipe in my staple list. No wonder it mentioned in artisanbreadbaking.com as “great Italian boules in your kitchen”. Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...