26 Oct 2012

Mashed Potatoes


I thought there’s no need to make a mashed potatoes post. Who doesn't know how to prepare mashed potatoes!? But, not really, my mum is one of them! My mum has been cooking for more than 50 years but all she does are Chinese home cook food only! No other than that.

She wanna see how I do my mashed potatoes. So, I just showed her this one. In fact, for me, no exact measurement required, I would make it differently in different occasions depending my mood and what are available in my fridge at that point of time.

Mashed Potatoes
3 Russet potatoes (450 g)
3 TBsp milk
3 TBsp cream
1 TBsp butter
salt & coarse black pepper
optional: 1 brunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
Servings: 3 

- Pierce the potatoes, place them into a pot, add water to the level of just coverring the potatoes, lid on, high heat to bring to boil, then turn to medium-low heat, boil for about 25 minutes till it can be can easily inserted thru by a chopstick.

- Drain the water, put back the lid, continue heating the pot till all the moisture captured inside dried up but don’t get it burnt. Remove from heat.

- Just peel the cooked potatoes with fingertips. Cautious, it is hot! Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a fork. Immediately mix with milk, cream, butter and chopped flat-leaf parsley, salt & pepper to taste while the mashed potatoes is still warm.

- Serve it just plain on its own, or with your favourite brown gravy, or with steaks and chops, or with salad for potato salad.


My mashed potatoes can be still a little bit lumpy. It doesn't matter to me. But if you do, use a potato mill. Many people preparing it by boiling peeled + diced potatoes, and then drain them later, I particularly dislike such cooking manner for Russet potatoes.

Use sour cream in replacement of cooking cream on mashed potatoes is one of my favourite too. I used light cream here, 20% fat. You can opt for thickened cream, 30% fat, which is even richer. Of course if you prefer to a much lighter one: just use all milk, no cream, and cut down the butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...