13 Aug 2012

Pumpkin Bread / Pumpkin Buns


Pumpkin lovers? My mum is one of them. Baked this pumpkin bread or should I say pumpkin buns especially for her. From the book Magic bread by Alex Goh, p.102~103, this was my take on a half-recipe basis. I made them sweeter as we would like to eat it just on its own without any spreads. Also, I omitted the cinnamon powder.

Pumpkin Bread / Pumpkin Buns
(A)
50 g bread flour
43 g boiling water
(B)
200 g bread flour
20 g sugar (used 40 g)
1/2 tsp salt
8 g milk powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder (omitted)
4 g instant yeast
(C)
60 g pumpkin, steamed & mashed (used 90 g)
(D)
75 g cold water (used about 50 g)
(E)
30 g butter, soften
(F)
40 g pumpkin seeds (used >50 g)

For the part (A), stir the boiling water to the bread flour. Cover. Set aside to cool. Place it into the fridge for at least 12 hours.

In a mixing bowl, mix all (B). Add in (C), (D) & (A) to knead it to form a rough dough. Knead in (E).

Knead till elastic and smooth if using electric mixer. (I transferred the dough to a lightly floured counter and hand-kneaded it for about 15 minutes.) Knead in one third of the (F) pumpkin seeds. Round to a ball and place onto a lightly oiled bowl.

Cover & set for 1st rise for 40 ~ 50 minutes. Test the dough by pressing a finger in, if the indent remark remains, then the dough has risen sufficiently and ready.

Gently punch down & press out air. Fold in thirds. Divide the dough equally into 9 and round them into balls. Place them on a lightly greased pan. (I used a square pan here. Both round pan & rectangular pan are fine too. Divide into 3 or without any dividing baking in a loaf pan if loaf bread is preferred.)

Let it proof for 45 ~ 50 minutes in a warm place. Egg wash the top. Sprinkle the remaining of pumpkins seeds.

Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at the middle rack. 

Cool on wire rack. Enjoy.

I wish I have a smaller square pan, or perhaps I should have increased dough volumn, so that my pumpkin buns would be 'higher' and 'squarer'. Anyway, they turned out beautifully in golden yellow. I couldn't wait to put my fingers on it; I had one while it was still light warm. One word: delicious. Just loved the pumpkin seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...