28 Aug 2012

Mixed Nuts Mooncake 中秋伍仁月餅


I went to Alex Goh’s mooncake baking class for the main purpose of learning his mixed nuts mooncake. This is because I have a mixed nuts mooncake maniac mum. Mr. Alex is still conducting his class currently, so not detailing the recipe here (maybe later...).

Mid-Autumn Mixed Nuts Mooncake 中秋伍仁月餅
~ Cantonese mooncake pastry with mixed nuts and kernels filling
yield: 7

Apart from the mooncake biscuits I baked earlier, this is my very first time of making mooncake. It was a breeze. I followed the recipe without any problem. I did a bit of modification. I used soft brown sugar instead, hoping it would be less-sweet. I cut down the candied winter melon and kaffir leaves but increased on cashew nuts.

I told my mum it is advised to leave aside cantonese pastry mooncakes for 4 days before consuming where the pastry skin to become soften (回油). My mum rounded her eyes, "Wait 4 days? NO WAY!", and insisted on to cut one right away. Excuse my cutting fault: it broke a bit over the edge as it is still kinda crispy not long after baking.


The mixed nuts mooncake tasted really awesome. So, I have an overjoyed mum! I promised her to bake another batch maybe a month later.

x        x        x

Update: can't wait for one month, just three weeks after, I made the 2nd batch due to overwhelmed reception. This batch used soft brown sugar also but I cut 1/5 down, and cut half of the candied winter melon, while used more cashew nuts than walnuts.

Let see they can last till the day of mid autumn festival or not...


x        x        x

My mixed nuts mooncakes from the batch on 10/08/2013 using syrup my own. Though a year after from my first learning, but I can tell my skill has improved. It tasted awesome as well.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for reading.
      Chef Alex Goh gives mooncake baking classes every year.
      Not for me to disturb people "cari makan". Hope you understand.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...