14 Jul 2012

Okonomiyaki お好み焼き


My dinner just now: yummy squid okonomiyaki!  

Okonomi means “as you like”, while yaki refers to “grilled, cooked, pan-fried” or so. Okonomiyaki is a type of Japanese savory pancake. Popular ones are the Kansai style as well as the Hiroshima style.  When travelling in Japan, of course I would order some local authenticate ones. But here in Malaysia, I don’t eating out for it. I only make my okonomiyaki at home.

My nihongo sensei is the one who taught me, the kansai style. Actually she is an obaasan from Tokyo. I learnt quite a number of Japanese cooking from her. All homely home cookings, the ‘kaa-san no aji’, i.e. the taste from mum. It was years ago. Now, I have lost contact of her as she has gone back to Japan. Miss her a lot.

My sensei taught us the one is right from scratch: to mix hakurikiko (similar to cake flour) with yamaimo flour (nagaimo yam powder), dashi (bonito stock), beni-shouga (pickled ginger), and etc and etc. But, I always use okonomiyaki mix which is more straightforward.

I use Nissin’s たっぷり具いりのお好み焼き粉 ('tappuri gu iri no okonomiyaki ko' means 'okonomiyaki flour with lots of ingredients'), or, Otafuku’s 家族でお好み焼きミックス粉 ('kazoku de okonomiyaki mikkusu-ko' means 'family okonomiyaki mixture flour'). It calls for flour 1 part : water 1.6 part. Watery batter will make a pancake wide spreaded but soft inner. I’ll go for watery batter for takoyaki only. My okonomiyaki I opt for less watery. Well, "as you like it".

As for the fillings, cabbage is the prominent ingredient. So, put lotsa cabbage strips in. You can choose many variations, for instance, thinly sliced belly (beef or pork), shrimps, squid, cheese, kimchi, dried sakura ebi, yellow noodles & etc, or a combination of your favourites. As you like it aahh! lol

I usually just pour some flour from the packet, get water from the tap & grab ingredients with hand; no measuring. This time, I will show step by step.

Okonomiyaki・お好み焼き
batter:
3 TBsp okonomiyaki flour mix (used Otafuku's)
3 ~ 4 TBsp water
fillings:
1 egg
1 cup 1 cm cabbage strips (about 70 g)
2 TBsp edge-cut spring onion
1 medium-size squid, cleaned thoroughly, halved, cut 1.5 cm wide
2 TBsp tenkasu (deep fried tempura bits)
toppings:
aonori (green seaweed flakes)
okonomiyaki sauce (I use Otafuku brand)
mayonnaise (I use Kewpie brand)
katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
Serving: 1

1. In a bowl, stir water to the flour into a batter.

2. Put all the fillings: cabbage, spring onion, egg, squid & tenkasu into the bowl. Stir to mix well (take less than a minute).

3. Meantime, heat a frying pan with 1/2 TBsp of cooking oil. Pour the mixture onto the frying pan. Turn to medium to low heat, pan-fry for about 3 minutes.
Important: do not press the mixture. Use a frying utensil to draw from the edge inwards to a more rounded shape, or, just leave it as it is.

4. Turn the pancake over. Remember: do not press. Put on lid. Let continue heating for about 3 ~ 4 minutes.

5. Open the lid. Turn it over again and pan-fry for about 2 ~ 3 minutes. Turn off the heat. See, beautiful.

6. Serve by sprinkle some nori flakes, spread or squeeze some okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise on top, and sprinkle some katsuobushi. Dekimashita. Enjoy immediately.

Okonomiyaki with Squid イカのお好み焼き

Oishikatta! Happy happy! Even my mum also said it was super yummy!
  
P/S : Oh, found a pic that I was forking some okonomiyaki when I travelled in Japan. >”<) Can’t remember what did I order last time, but the wooden chair at the upper right corner read: “Fugetsu”, which is a local okonomiyaki chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...