3 Jul 2012

Longan & Wine Bread


Made a Longan & Wine Bread.

Heard about Wu’s award winning 'Red Wine Longan Sourdough Bread'. I reckon a pack of dried longan sitting still in my fridge since Chinese New Year. (I thought I wanna make 龍眼糖水 during CNY, but I forgot it.) My mum got some home brewed raisin wine. So, just nice, I can try out new bread.

You see, my mum usually uses golden raisin for her home-brew; not meant for drinking but for family home cooking, for e.g. in ‘Chinese Wine Chicken’. But this particular one is made by raisin. (I test-tasted it, kinda like alcoholic Ribena. I still prefer to golden raisin one.) Well, I got both red wine and white wine at home, but I can’t decide should I open it just for making one bread…hmm… maybe next time.

Instead of sourdough, I picked and adapted a poolish bread recipe from Alex Goh as the base. I thought just simply soaked the dried longan into the wine and then adding to the bread dough or so. Here was my take.

Longan & Wine Bread
poolish
50 bread flour
50 g water
1/32 tsp instant yeast (a little pinch)
main dough
(I)
100 g bread flour
50 g AP flour
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 TBsp honey (I used 1 tsp molasses)
80 g cold water (I used 55 g water and 40 g wine)
(II)
40 g dried longan (used 55 g)

Make the poolish: dissolve the yeast with part of the water, add in the remaining water and bread flour, stir well. Cover. Leave on the counter for overnight or for 12 hours.

Cut dried longans into half, soak with 40 g wine for 1(~2) hour till soften.

Squeeze all the wine liquid out (from the longan soaking), and mix it with all the ingredients (I) and also the poolish in a mixing bowl. Knead to a rough dough.

Knead the dough till elastic and smooth. (I hand kneaded it for 15 minutes.)

Knead-in the longan. Round to a ball and place it onto a lightly oiled bowl. Cover. Let proof for 40 to 50 minutes.

Test by pressing a finger into the dough where the finger indent remains which means the dough has risen sufficiently.

Fold in thirds. Shape. Place it on a greased pan. Let rise for 60 minutes in a warm place.

Brush top with water & dust some flour. Bake at 200°C in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Transfer to wire rack to let cool.


I made the poolish early in the morning. After work when I came back home, it was exactly 12 hours after. By the time I finished baking, it was already 10 pm. And my mum at once dashed out from the bedroom. I thought she has gone to bed! But she was too eager to try this new thing couldn't wait for the next morning. Hahaa. She likes it but commented that the bread has no wine taste. I should have used all wine instead of partly water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...