29 Jul 2012

Japanese Cotton Cheese Cake


Baked this soft, moist and delicious Japanese Cotton Cheesecake last night.

I always wanted to bake a cheese cake. There are too many varieties and recipes I encountered, what: marble, blueberry, raspberry, lemon, chocolate, New York style, no-bake, and tons of many others. I wondered which should I attempt first.

Read the recipes of Japanese Cotton Cheesecake by Diana’s Desserts, and also from Alex Goh’s book: Fantastic Cheesecake. I worked on a 4-egg recipe in a 9” round-pan using Alex’s as the basis but adding some lemon juice as per Diana’s, and here was my take.

Japanese Cotton Cheese Cake
160 g cream cheese (used Philadelphia cream cheese)
25 g butter
120 g milk (used 115 g)

40 g flour (used superfine cake flour)
30 g cornflour (corn starch)

4 egg yolks
(2 tsp lemon juice)

4 egg whites
1/8 cream of tartar
100 g caster sugar (used 90 g)
pinch of salt

Line the bottom of baking pan with baking paper. Grease the liner and the side of the pan. Wrap outside of pan with aluminum foil (I double cross-wrapped carefully as I used a springform pan). You will need some boiling water too for water bath.

Use a double boiler, stir and mix cream cheese, butter and milk until thicken. Remove from double boiler to let cool a bit.

Sieve the flour and cornflour to the cheese mixture and mix well. Mix in the egg yolks and lemon juice until well combined.

Using an electic mixer, whip egg whites till foamy, add the cream of tartar continue to whip, add in salt and gradually add in sugar, whip until soft peaks.

Fold the egg white mixture to the cheese mixture till well blended.

Pour the mixture to the baking pan. Place the baking pan on another larger pan and pour some boiling water on the outer pan (water about 1/2" height).

Bake in water bath, at 160°C in a pre-heated oven on lower rack for 40 ~ 45 minutes (after 45 minutes, the surface of my cheesecake was still rather light in colour, so I baked another 7 minutes. A skewer inserted and it came out clean.).

Set aside to cool (off the oven, I left the baked cake inside the oven with door ajar for about 10 minutes to cool slowly, before removing from pan) and enjoy. Or, chill the cheesecake before serving.


I love this Japanese Cotton Cheesecake a lot. It was indeed cotton soft while non-sweet at all. My father had a slice during the noon, but asked for another slice in the afternoon. My mum really enjoyed it too. I asked her about the adding of lemon juice. She also prefers to a light lemony cheesecake. After giving some to my bro, and served a friend who dropped by last night, now only left a small little piece in my fridge. I should have baked a much larger one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...