5 Jun 2012

Cream Cheese Custard Bun


Last Sunday, baked these cream cheese custard buns. This lovely recipe is from Alex Goh. I worked on a point-six recipe basis and this was my take.

Cream Cheese Custard Bun
poolish:
40 g bread flour
40 g water
a little pinch instant yeast
main dough:
(A)
150 g bread flour
24 g sugar
2.4 g salt (used 0.4 tsp)
0.6 tsp instant yeast
(B)
36 g cold egg  (1 egg, divided, remaining used for egg wash)
30 g cold water
(C)
27 g butter, soften
fillings:
Cream cheese custard
(-show the fillings making in future post, sorry, not today.)
(Ignore the sausages in the pic. Coz certainly I wanna eat sausage roll too. lol)

I made the poolish in a plastic container with lid:
- dissolve the yeast with part of the water, add the remaining water and flour, stir well. Cover. Set aside overnight or at least 12 hours. (After 12 hours, I put it inside the fridge as I needed to delay my bread making in the afternoon.)

Alex’s instructions are using stand mixer which required to knead till you can pull an amount of dough to thin membrane. I hand-kneaded it:
- in a mixing bowl, mix (A) and add in the poolish and (B) to form a rough dough. Knead in (C). Transfer to a floured surface and knead till elastic. (The dough was sticky and wet. Alex asked not to add additional flour. But I can’t help and added 1~2 TBsp. I kneaded for about 15 minutes. I don’t think I can knead as elastic as using stand mixer.)

Form a ball. Place it on a bowl. Cover. Let rise for 40 to 50 minutes. (By the way, last Sunday afternoon was super warm here.) Test by poking a finger to the dough and the indent remains which means the dough has risen sufficiently. Gently punch down and press out some air. (I gently folded in thirds.)

Divide the dough into 50 g each, which resulting 7 pieces. Round into small balls. Cover. Rest for 10 minutes.

Flatten the dough with palm or by rolling pin, wrap in the filling and pinch the edge together forming to round, or oblong shape. Seam face down, place it on a lightly greased baking tray. Let proof again for 50 minutes in a warm place.

Egg wash the top. Optional: decorate by piping some instant custard paste on top. (Kindly ignore my sausage rolls. This post is not about them.)

Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 12 to 15 minutes. (I baked 15 minutes.) Remove from oven. Transfer and cool on wire rack.

So, I had cream cheese custard bun and sausage roll for dinner. \(^v^)/ Delicious.
x        x        x 

And then about 9 pm, my friend, Candle, brought over some yam-cake that made by her mum. Okay, be my supper then! I ate it with some garlic chili sauce. Loads of yam, super yummy! Hopefully Candle and her mum did enjoy my cream cheese custard buns too.

P/S: About the sausage rolls making and recipe, feel free to read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...