19 Jun 2012

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day


Read about both Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois) and No-Knead Bread (Jim Lahey, NY Times). The other day made my first bread for such no-knead method. 

Jot down here what I have attempted in a very small portion basis. For the full recipe and complete instructions do refer to the original website.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
145 g lukewarm water
1 tsp active dry yeast (used instant yeast)
1/2 tsp salt
185 g all purpose flour

- I used a spoon and a plastic container (non air-tight and must be large enough to allow double in bulk).
Pour in the water. Stir in the yeast and the salt. Add in the AP flour and stir well. No Knead. Cover with lid. Leave on the counter for 2 hours, and then put in the fridge.

- On the baking day (the next evening in my case), take out from the fridge.

- It was very sticky. I wondered how should I shape it. I ended up using a kitchen scraper. I kept flouring the scraper, from the corner scraping & tucking down-wards to the center dough.

- Heavily floured both hands hold the dough forming “cloak” thingy and place it onto semolina peel. Cover. Rest for 1 hour. My dough did not “pop-up” but was spread “wider”.  Dust some flour. Score a few slashes (again, ignore my weak scoring).

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 225°C. I baked 15 minutes with steam, 15 minutes without steam. Off the oven, leave it inside for another 5 minutes with door ajar.

Overall, this recipe is surprisingly easy to follow. Taste wise, not bad too. Worth a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...