27 May 2012

Demi Baguette


I always wanna try to learn making baguette. I like baguette though non of my family members enthusiatic into it. My main problem is: I have a very small oven.

Yesterday, Saturday, I finally gave it a try. I picked the recipe, French Bread Baguette, from FamousFrenchDesserts.com. Oh yea, I didn’t know how to shape to baguettes. Only 2 hours before making, I rushed into checking out a shaping clip from youtube. >”<)

Do refer to the website for its original recipe if you are interested. Here’s just my babbling not exactly following the recipe. I tried a one third recipe.

Demi Baguette
1 1/3 cup flour (I used 200 g + 30 g bread flour)
1 tsp dry active yeast (used instant yeast)
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup water (used 145 g)

- Mix together the flour & the salt.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast, water & half of the flour-salt mixture. (I used a spoon, rather by hand, to stir till combine.)
 - Cover. Let sit at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Gradually add-in the remaining flour-salt and knead to a rough dough.
- Transfer to a floured surface & knead to rather elastic for 10 minutes. (The dough was rather sticky still after kneading.) 
- Place the dough onto a lightly oiled bowl. Coverred. Let rise for 1 hour.
- The recipe asks for to knead a little again. I gently folded in thirds and divided the dough to 2. Rest 5 minutes. Shape to baguette, or should I say a demi version due to my oven’s limitation. (My baguettes are not uniform in shape, do forgive.)
 - Proof for 25 minutes. Score. (argh creases and shallow cuts, my scoring are lame…just ignore.) 
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 225°C for 25 minutes and the first 15 minutes with steam. (I heated my oven at 240°C with a bowl of hot boiling water, slide-in the baguette and immediately lower to 225°C. Also, used atomizer to spray water against the oven wall for 4 times. Removed the water bowl after 15 minutes. And after baking, I left the baguette in the oven for 5 minutes with door ajar hoping to deepen the colour. Perhaps I should have just baked another 5 minutes longer…)
 

Despite my poor shaping & scoring, thank god it smelled like baguette and tasted like baguette. I had one roll for dinner with my lemon chicken.

Then this morning, I toasted the remaining one into garlic bread. Crispy, tasty and satisfying. 


Definitely need more practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...