12 Apr 2012

Savory Cornbread


This is not a fruit cake. This is the cornbread I tried to bake last evening. We don’t have cornbread selling in Malaysia and I never had it. I wondered how was it tasted like.

I read some Mexican cornbread recipes as well as some Southwest ones. It seems pretty easy. And I did cheddar cheese muffins before, so I kinda borrow the same manner. My little experiment here was on a very small quantity basis, only 2 servings, to avoid possible wastage if of failure. I’m still trying to figure out to better the recipe.

Savory Cornbread
(I)
4 TBsp yellow cornmeal
2 TBsp AP flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/3 tsp salt
1 small clove garlic, minced
(II)
1 TBsp corn oil
3 TBsp milk with 1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 egg, beaten
1 TBsp grated cheese
1 TBsp onion, finely chopped
1 TBsp green bell pepper, diced small
1 TBsp red bell pepper, diced small
1 green chili, deseeded, sliced thin
1 TBsp toasted bacon, torn

In a bowl, mix all (I).
Add in all (II), stir to combine.
Scoop to the lightly oiled baking ware.
Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes till a skewer comes out clean.

Initially I wished to add also 2 TBsp of whole kernel corn. After I placed the baking ware into the oven only I realized I totally forgot about it! Even yet openning the can! Anyway, a relief by the time a nice aroma coming out the oven.


The cornbread looked totally golden brown. Taste wise, it was: grainy, feeling them grazing in between my teeth. Maybe I should put more AP flour lesser cornmeal…or equal part of both... I must try them out before I can decide which I would like better. It was unexpectedly quite fluffy though. Perhaps I can reduce the oil. Overall, I quite like the savory taste. But I think the locals here would prefer to a soft, sweet, creamy corn one.

Anyhow, a cornbread for my breakfast today.
x          x          x

Update: Experiment on 21/10/12 using 3/4 cup AP flour, 1/2 cup corn kernels, 1/3 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup corn meal, 1 egg, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 TBsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 TBsp corn oil, & etc. I think, the result was better.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...