11 Apr 2012

Rustic Sourdough Bread


This recipe is from KAF. I’m a little disappointed that I can’t find KAF AP flour in Malaysia.

The first time I tried this recipe I used a strong organic flour, it turned out even a larger boule and better crumb. I baked again on a 1/3 basis.

Feel free to read the original recipe from KAF official site:
   Quote

Rustic Sourdough Bread

1 cup "fed" sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tBsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
5 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.
Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10" to 11" logs. Place the loaves on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
Spray the loaves with lukewarm water. Or for a darker crust like the one pictured in this recipe, brush with an egg wash.
Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.
    Unquote

My both takes were somewhat different from the original instructions.
- I used water at room temperature.
- I adjusted water according to my sourdough starter for hand kneading. I use scale, not in volume measurement.
- I allowed 1st rise for 90 minutes accordingly. It seemed shorter time needed in my case.
- It said “gently divide… it’ll deflate somewhat”, I fold in thirds instead. 
- I allowed 2nd rise for 1 hour.
- Instead of egg wash I dusted some extra flour.
- As I craved for hard & crispy crust, I add steam during the baking.
- I baked longer (35 minutes) as I wanted a deeper colour.

I used:
210 g Bread flour, 70 g sourdough starter, 105~110 g water, 2/3 tsp instant yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 3/4 tsp salt. 

The result:

When the bread removed from the oven, the creaking sound was so thrilling. Imagine a dragon egg cracking! The side cracked much. Anyways, I think I dusted too much flour as if it coated with icing sugar. Would reduce such dusting next time.

Well, the crust was ultimate crispy though. I really enjoyed it with a simple spread of Lurpak butter. Will make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...