7 Apr 2012

Multigrain Sourdough Loaf


My mum is a fan of those high fiber bread that with tons of seeds & nuts. Me too. But you see, most Malaysians, or should I say among many Asians, they are more into cotton soft, thin skinned, fancy, sweet dough white bread. As for my father, he is kinda neutral.

I totally have no idea about baker’s math or whatsoever, not just yet. A month ago, for my mum, I worked out this recipe rather blindfolded. Just based on my tiny limited grasp of bread making & understanding, and my only 2.5 bread-recipe books as some reference. But, it still turned out on my dining table. Just blind luck I think.

It was like: ok, 1 part this flour then how many parts the other flour, add I TBsp of this & that, in fact: every bit from my current stock!! Ahahaa. >”<) Again, I baked this Multigrain Sourdough Loaf for my mum as she loves it. My recipe:
                       
Multigrain Sourdough Loaf
(I)
120 g Sourdough starter
180 g Bread flour
50 g Rye flour 
50 g Wholemeal flour
123 g Water
1 TBsp Olive oil
1 TBsp Molasses
1 TBsp Brown sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Instant yeast
(II)
1 TBsp Rolled oats
1 TBsp Flaxseed meal
1 TBsp Poppy seeds
1 TBsp Pumpkin seeds, lighly toasted
1 TBsp Sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
1 TBsp Black sesame seeds, lightly toasted
Refresh sourdough starter, let set aside for at least 8 ~ 12 hours at room temperature. Measure out as needed. The balance, cover & put back in the fridge for the next time.

Part (I), stir all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, make a well, add all the wet ingredients into the well, stir & knead to a rough dough.

Transfer it to a lightly floured surface, knead till smooth & elastic (I kneaded about 12 minutes). Knead in all (II) (further kneaded about 5 minutes).

Round the dough into a ball & place it onto a lightly oiled bowl. Cover. Let rise about 1 hour in a warm place. Test by pressing a finger into the dough, if the indentation stays, it means the dough proofed sufficient by now.

Lightly punch down & press out the air. Fold in thirds twice & round the dough. Divide equally into 3. Shape them round & rest for 10 minutes.

Roll each ball out flat and roll the flatten sheet itself up. Place them on an olive-oil greased large loaf pan.

Set for 2nd rise for 50 to 60 minutes or until double in size in a warm place. (I placed it inside a closed oven with bowl of hot boiling water.) 

Bake at 175°C in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately remove from pan to wire rack. Rub butter on top & brush evenly.

My father is always impatient. When he saw me putting the pan into my oven (in fact, for 2nd proof), he asked if it was ready. I said no, it needed another hour to proof. Then, when I took the pan out to preheat my oven, he thought the loaf was ready. I said, no, not just yet. He ordered, “2 half boiled eggs ye~a!”

During the baking, the aroma was so alluring! Of course, it loaded with all those seeds & grains. He asked again, “Not yet? I’m hungry…” At last, I transferred the bread to wire rack. He urged again, “Quickly slice them out. And where’r my eggs?” I said, “Need a little time to cool though. Super hot now.”

Well, he dipped the bread into half boiled eggs with soy sauce & pepper. I suggested: it would be best spread with some Lurpak. He said it was just delicious even without any butter. As for mum, she said she could eat it happily on its own.


This bread was seedy, tangy & chewy. I cut some crust & toast it as mini pizzas too. Super yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...