4 Apr 2012

Hokkaido Milky Loaf


Crazily love the food in Japan, not only washoku 和食, their bakeries are super awesome too. I really missed those lovely breads, cakes and etc. And I missed Hokkaido so so much! It is an utter food paradise!

I remember I tried fresh milk at Sapporo札幌, as well as at Onuma Koen 大沼公園. Seriously, those fresh milk that deliverred daily straight from the farms was so divine. Oh yea, they charge ya lesser if you return the empty glass bottle on the spot.

Found this marvelous recipe from ‘Angie’s Recipes’. Here, a one third recipe I did. Do note that the original recipe uses electric stand mixer. I hand-kneaded them and shaped it my way. Adjusting a little to suit my taste, this was my take:

Hokkaido Milky Loaf    
180 g Bread flour
20 g Cake flour
3.3 g Dry active yeast (I used 3/4 to 4/5 tsp Instant yeast)
10 g Milk powder       (used 3/4 TBsp, 7g)
27 g Sugar                   (used 1.5 TBsp, 22g)
3 g Salt                        (used 1/2 tsp)
83 g Fresh milk           (used 85g, HL milk)
50 g Whipping cream              
Egg                        (- I omitted the egg aiming for solely milk.) 

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add in all wet ingredients to form a rough dough.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface, knead till smooth & elastic. Form the dough round & place it on a lightly oiled bowl. Cover. Set to rise for about 1 hour. Press a finger into a dough, the indentation remains, then the dough is ready.

Punch down gently & press out the air. Three-fold twice. Round it up & rest for 20 minutes. Roll out flat (I used rolling pin) & roll up, pinch the seam, seam to face down & tuck both ends to form a loaf. Place the loaf dough on a lightly greased small loaf tin.

Set in a warm place let rise for 50 minutes. I chose to brush the top with milk (“Milky Bread”, right?! ).

Bake at 170°C in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes (as I tried only 1/3 recipe a small loaf tin sized, I baked for 33 ~ 35 minutes.) Remove from oven & let cool on wire rack.


The bread was soft, and, milky naturally! (^.^) Hey, it was still soft on the second day too.

P/S: As I love the recipe a lot. I did the second time with 1/2 recipe for a large loaf pan and added inside 1/2 egg as per recipe (adjusted the milk) & egg washed top. See it for yourself. It turned out beautifully too.

As for which one tasted better? With or without egg? I forgot. >"<) Hahaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...