19 Apr 2012

Butter Cheese Bread


Bought the book “Magic Bread” by Alex Goh for quite a few months. All the recipes inside focus on using “gelatinized dough”  ( Tangzhong 湯種 / water roux method ) bread making technique, which resulting particularly soft breads. Only till recently I finally spared time to give it a try.

From the page 94~95, I did a half recipe. Here was my take by hand kneading.

Butter Cheese Bread
(A)*
75 g Bread flour
53 g Boiling water
(B)
125 g Bread flour
50 g Plain flour
10 g Milk powder (I used 1/2 TBsp, 6 g)
32 g Sugar (30 g)
3 g Salt (I cut to only 1/3 tsp due to using salted butter)
4 g Instant yeast (used 1.3 tsp)
(C)
67 g cold Water (used 55 g)
1/2 cold Egg
(D)
30 g Butter, soften (used salted butter)   
40 g Cream cheese

* For part (A), add the boiling water to the bread flour, stir to combine & to form a rough dough. Cover. Set aside to cool. Place it into the fridge for at least 12 hours. See the gelatinised dough after 12 hours on the left of the below pic:

In a large bowl, mix all (B), stir in (C) and then (A). Knead it to form a rough dough. Knead in (D).

Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead till elastic and smooth. (I hand-kneaded for 13 minutes.) Round to a ball and place onto a bowl. Cover & set aside in a warm place for 40 minutes (45 minutes in my case).

Test the dough by pressing a finger in, when the indentation remains, means the dough rose sufficiently.

Gently punch down & press out air. Fold in thirds. The book recommends to divide into 50 g each. I weighted my dough and it can be divided equally into 9 of 54 g each. Roll each into round. (I rest them for 5 minutes.)

Place them to a pre-greased tube pan.

Let proof for 50 minutes in a warm place. (I placed it inside a closed oven with a big bowl of boiling water.) Egg wash the top.

Bake at 175°C in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. (I baked 25 minutes.)

Remove from oven. Remove from tube pan & let cool at wire rack.


The bread was cotton soft. Perhaps the softest bread recipe that I have been trying so far. I find the taste similar to butter roll, but richer. A deep buttery flavour due to the adding of cream cheese I presume.

I received a lot of praises from my colleagues. They all love it, rather than sourdough kind. See, I told ya: general Malaysians are into super soft sweet bread. Honestly, my vote still goes for those sourdough rye buns.

The next time, I might wanna roll in butter roll form. Or, I might sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese and coarse sugar over the top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...