29 Mar 2012

Seeded Wholemeal Sourdough Bread


This wonderful recipe has a special meaning to me. It is the very first bread recipe that I worked on. All my bread adventures later begin with this one. The original recipe is ‘Sourdough Wholemeal Buns’ from Chef Alex Goh.

I baked quite many times in loaf pan basis already. Modified a little bit each time, and it ends up as detailed here, an adapted one. I use spoon measurement on light weight, I opt for honey (instead of sugar) & have to adjust the water, I add flaxseed meal & poppy seeds, I prefer butter top, and I do hand-knead as I don't own a strong dough mixer.

Seeded Wholemeal Sourdough Bread
(A)
240 g Bread flour
60 g Wholemeal flour
1 TBsp Flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp Instant yeast
2/3 tsp Salt
(B)
150 g Levain
123 g Water
1 1/2 TBsp Honey
25 g Unsalted butter, soften
(C)
1 1/2 TBsp Pumpkin seeds
1 TBsp Sunflower seeds
1 tsp Poppy Seeds

Feed sourdough starter & proof for at least 8 hours (me, 12 hours).

Lightly toast pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds. (Optional: after toasting, add 1 tsp of water to moisten & set aside. So it won’t absorb much moisture from the bread dough later.)

In a mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients (A), make a well. Add all wet ingredients (B) into the well & mix into a rough dough. (use a spoon to stir, or just by hand.)

Transfer the rough dough to a lightly floured surface. Hand knead till smooth & elastic (I kneaded about 13 minutes). Knead in (C) the seeds (further kneaded 3 minutes or so).

Form the dough into a ball & place it onto a lightly oiled bowl. Cover. Let rise for 1 to 1.5 hour in a warm place. (It took me 1 hour 15 minutes.) Test by pressing a finger into the dough, the indent mark remains, it means the dough has risen sufficiently and is ready.

Gently punch down & press out the air. 3-fold twice. Round into a ball. Pat the dough flat or roll out with a rolling pin. Roll up like a Swiss roll. Pinch the seam, seam faced down, put it onto a butter greased large loaf pan.

Place in a warm place for second rise for 1 hour or until double in size. (I put it inside a closed oven with a bowl of hot boiling water.)

At lower rack, bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack. Immediately rub butter over the top, brush evenly for better result. Tadaa!


Slice to your desired thickness & serve with your favourite fillings.


It just...delicious…terrific soft crumb, adequate crispy crust, very tiny little sourness over the tongue, but the honey & buttery complement well, and not forgetting load of grains & seeds inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...