20 Mar 2012

Coffee Chiffon Cake


Always admired people baking pandan chiffon cake. It seemed tough to accomplish, and probably required a pretty powerful electric mixer as I overheard people praising their KitchenAid, Kenwood Chef & all. Mine is a mere simple household stand mixer.

Lucky me, I picked the book “Creative Making of Cakes” by Alex Goh. I thought I wanna gave it a try. First of all, got my hands on a 8”/20cm tube pan. I followed exactly on p.148~149 for a 3-egg recipe. It was an instant success: stood tall, no creases, cotton soft and yummy, though a bit sweet to my taste.

The 2nd one, I worked on p.150. I did some modifications, rounding up some measurements & cut part of the sugar (don’t tell Alex yea. teehee~). This is the original recipe from Alex Goh for your sampling, buy his baking books!
~ ~ ~
Coffee Chiffon Cake
(A)
4 egg yolks
1½ TBsp instant coffee
115 ml water
85 ml vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt     
100 g sugar
150 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
(B)
4 egg whites
90 g sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

1. Mix (A) till well blended.
2. Whisk the egg whites in (B) till soft peaks appear, then add sugar and cream of tartar and continue to whip till stiff.
3. Mix (A) and (B) till well combines.
4. Bake at 175C for 40 minutes.
5. Immediately invert cake when remove from the oven and let it cool.
6. When cold remove it from the mould. Serve.
~ ~ ~

I used large eggs (>60g each). Here was my take:

Coffee Chiffon Cake
(I)
3 egg yolks
40 g caster sugar (cut from 75g)
85 g milk (instead of water)
65 g corn oil
115 g cake flour
1¼ TBsp instant coffee (I used UCC#118 strong type)
3/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
(II)
3 egg whites
65 g caster sugar
1/10 tsp cream of tartar           

Sieve cake flour, baking powder & salt together. Warm the milk, stir in instant coffee till diluted, let cool a bit.

Of Part I, in a large bowl, use hand whisk, whisk egg yolks with sugar, whisk in corn oil, then whisk in milk, all till combined. Sieve again the flour into the yolk mixture & whisk till well combined. Set aside.

Of Part II separately, by electrical mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks, add in cream of tartar & gradually add in the sugar, whip till stiff peaks.

Mix egg white to egg yolk mixture till well combined.

Pour into a 8” tube pan (I lightly greased & floured my pan. Note that Alex said not to). Poke if any bubble appearing on top, smoothen the batter surface by spatula, lightly knock the tube pan on the counter (to try to break large bubble captured).

Bake on lower rack, a preheated oven at 175°C for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately invert the tube pan (to avoid the cake sinks). Let cool slowly.

Important: let the cake cool completely, then only overturn the pan & remove the cake.
(flat & minimal sinkage after cooling)
Can’t wait to have a cut, right?

Oh, so soft, so nice… Happy, happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...